Enter your Email


    Powered by FeedBlitz

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Subscribe with other RSS readers
  • Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Fast Food - Good or Not?

This posting on Boing Boing reminds me of Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. My daughter had that as required reading as an incoming freshman to start her college studies. I read three-quarters of it before putting it aside to finish later. I had earlier in life read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and was appalled. Fast Food Nation was more disturbing and that maybe part of the reason why I have not gone back to finish it. I could only read so much at a time.

Why?
Is it just because I am older, more aware of life's physical requirements (as in a healthy life style)?
Because I am a parent with two young daughters concerned as well for their well being? Especially after Allison returned from her freshman year having put on a few pounds?

All of the above I guess.

The temptations are great. Fast food is readily available. Good (healthy) food is not so. Even in a healthy environment, i.e. road race finish lines, you need to be careful. The Corporate Challenge did not have fruit this year, they had yogurt, Propel, a new M&M candy bar, and grain bars. Both the Hollis race (orange quarters and bananas) and the Norfolk race (bananas and orange juice) had fruit.

And then you read this posting and it raises all kinds of questions.
The five why's would be a good start!

What do you think?