Enter your Email


    Powered by FeedBlitz

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Subscribe with other RSS readers
  • Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

GEL 2005 - Ross Kaufman

Ross Kaufman, director of the award winning Born into Brothels, spoke about the development of this documentary of kids with cameras in the red light district of Calcutta.

I have not yet seen this film but it is now high on my list of those I need to see, which is even higher than those I want to see.

He showed some clips from the film and talked of how Zana Briski had come to him with the idea. How he struggled with it, eventually worked on it, and how they eventually finished the film and were a success by winning an Oscar. Their own personal relationship was not so successful.

The kids are still using cameras. The photos that are sold fund their education so that they can leave the red light district. Kids with Cameras is the foundation that coordinates these activities. Zana founded this and Ross is listed as a friend of the board of directors.

A deeply touching story. I'll admit there were tears in my eyes (and I was not alone in that theater feeling that way).

This documentary succeed because it exemplifies many of the current best practices in marketing today.
  • A different idea (the simple use of cameras)
  • From the customers point of view (the kids took the pictures)
  • Passion to succeed against all odds (Zana and Ross's efforts)
If you have not seen the film, let me know what you think.
If this entices you to see the film, let me know.