Enter your Email


    Powered by FeedBlitz

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Subscribe with other RSS readers
  • Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Gartner says: BLOGGING IS SO OVER

Did you see the article that caught my eye? Headlines blare that "Blogging is so over" per Gartner none the less.

Go ahead, follow the link to read for yourself. I'll wait for you to come back and read what else I have to say.

Waiting.
Waiting.

Patiently waiting.

Okay, you're back now! Here we go again.

Does Gartner really believe it's peaking when the demographic for blogging is basically the world?

"We make it for a lot of reasons," Plummer said. "If you look at the stats on the Web, you'll see there is a life span of three months and declining on the active Weblogs out there." He said the vast majority of bloggers are coming through on their way out, as opposed to being consistent contributors. Even MySpace.com and Facebook are losing visitors, he said.

"As people get out there, there is a huge explosion of submissions to these communities and blogs, and then they taper off. They realize they've gotta live a life."

I don't buy this. In my cruising of the internet, I do find lots of s*p*a*m or auto created blogs. These clutter and inflate the stats and I believe lead to the analysis that Gartner ends up making. I'll go do some numbers but in the course of the time the Hitchhiker Team has been on the trail, only a small group of blogs highlighted there have gone off line. This is purely based upon my recollection of what was done and periodic check backs (digging into the archives). Now, of course, this is only a small sample of the entire blogosphere but I think is still a worthy sample. I'll get the numbers and come back.

In the mean time, what do you think? Is Gartner correct?



Labels: , ,