Enter your Email


    Powered by FeedBlitz

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Subscribe with other RSS readers
  • Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Not So universal USB


USB_Cables
Originally uploaded by
shersteve
There is a need for the 4 port hub and maybe even for a larger size. The more devices I get, the more unique connections they require. While the large end of the USB cable is common, the small end is unique and in some cases proprietary.

The Canon cable can't be used elsewhere.
Neither does the Apple iPod Nano dock and cable.

I can use the iRiver on my BlackBerry but not the Blackberry on my iRiver.

How do you avoid getting tangled up in cables?


FYI: click through to Flickr to see the descriptive note on the picture itself.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Not So universal USB"

 

Anonymous Leah Maclean said ... (9:18 PM) : 

Labelling cables is the best thing I have ever done Steve :-) I completely understand your dilemma (I still have a box of unlabelled cables that I'm not quite sure what they belond too).

I use my Brother P-Touch labeller to quickly dash out a label and stick it on (preferably as soon as it comes out of the box).

Here's an extra USB tip just for fun - I know that I have played "the which way up do I plug this in game" and so now all my USD cables have a dab of brightly coloured nail polish on the top side.

BTW - Hope you enjoyed the time in the PA woods ;-)

 

Anonymous Dwayne Melancon said ... (10:27 PM) : 

I share your frustration. I believe some vendors come up with their own standards to keep you from switching to someone else's product (the Sony world, where they have their own memory stick is a good example). For me, that's often a deciding factor on choosing what I buy. I will not buy a Sony device that uses their proprietary stuff. Vote with your wallet!

Leah's suggestion is awesome, too, by the way. I've used paint pens (from craft stores) like that, as well.

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (10:38 PM) : 

Leah, the woods were wonderful. I have some more writing to share with all soon.

I like the tip. One of the cables does have that distinct marker so I'll add that to the others.

Dwayne, thanks for stopping by. I agree that the best way to vote is with the wallet. That is one sure method of catching attention.

 

post a comment